Git Submodule is there an easy way?

I’m creating my first pipeline and I need to clone a repo with submodules so I clone using standard git integration and then I’m trying to use the plugin for submodule but the problem is that that plugin requires GITHUB_TOKEN and in my case, I’m working with gitlab and set that var to blank doesn’t work.

I’m wondering why official git-clone doesn’t have an option to update submodules as this is pretty straight forward. On the other hand, the git-submodule only work with github…

So I have authenticated Gitlab for clone but I need to reinvent the wheel by injecting ssh keys before manually update submodule.

This is to weird and I’m wondering if I’m missing something to make it easier.

Hello

I haven’t checked yet, but I don’t think that the git submodule has something specific for Github apart from the context name.

You can simply use manual git commands Using Custom Git commands · Codefresh | Docs (but still using your GITLAB token from Codefresh instead of SSH keys)

Happy to clarify more.

Hello!

I need to pull submodule from private Bitbucket repository and facing similar issues - having to dance around ~/.ssh/known_hosts, configure another SSH key despite already having Bitbucket integration up and working, and so on.

It all could be solved if I could configure clone step to add a --recurse-submodules flag, really.

Great! I didn’t know about this flag.

I will ask our engineering team to see if we can put this into the main clone step.