Custom name for each build run

We have a CD pipeline which is invoked at the end of a few different CI jobs via a codefresh-run step.

This works well, except when viewing the log of builds from the CD pipeline, it is difficult to tell what was deployed without opening the build. From within the build, we customise the title of our deploy step to explain visually what was deployed and where.

To illustrate, here is a screenshot of the CD job, where each build run is deploying something different (potentially to a different environment), all configured via arguments passed in to the build run:

In Jenkins, we’d have used something like this: Build Name and Description Setter. I’ve tried (just on a hunch, unable to find any supporting docs) setting a title for the entire pipeline which incorporates some variables that were passed in, but this is unsupported.

Has anyone else come across a solution to this?

Hello,

I’m afraid this is not supported at the moment, but I totally agree that this feature would be a huge improvement for the build view! We have a similar feature request to expose some user-defined build variables on the build badge for better visibility and the internal conversation is still going on there, so I will add your voice there too to bring more attention to the item.

At the moment, you can try using Annotations [1] to mark the build with the needed values.

To see the build annotations from the build view, you need to click the three-dot menu on the right side of the build badge and select Annotations.

1. Annotations · Codefresh | Docs

Just checking in again as I’ve found another use case for this. Originally (and still) we desired this feature for depoyment jobs as per above.

However, now we are working with terraform, and it seems common practice to use the same pipeline for both terraform apply and terraform destroy, the only difference being the use of a variable to toggle between:

Toggling between terraform apply and terraform destroy

Naturally there are other preparatory steps, e.g. ensuring appropriate access, approval, etc that are common between both steps, so it is valuable to share the same pipeline for creation and destruction or resources.

Resulting build runs (one creating, other destroying, infra)

It would be awesome if we could label these build runs to be able to differentiate between those which built vs destroyed infrastructure.

Random Jenkins example from the internet to showcase the gist

Hello,

Sorry for the delay! We’ve added an ability to mark the builds with custom annotations in the build view UI.
Documentation:
Annotations in pipelines · Codefresh | Docs