Troubleshooting custom step-type plugin development

We are developing custom step-type plugins for use in-house and although the basic validation is successful when creating/replacing the step-type through the CLI. But when the custom plugin is referenced from within another pipeline, all the output we get for troubleshooting is this:

Failed to prepare plugin, Filed to run template engine                                                                                               
[SYSTEM]                                                                                                                                             
 Message             Filed to run template engine                                                                                                    
 Caused by           Container for operation: Running pikolo reqay. Failed with exit code: 1                                                         
 Documentation Link  https://codefresh.io/docs/docs/codefresh-yaml/steps                                                                             
 Exit code           1                                                                                                                               
 Name                NonZeroExitCodeError

How to troubleshoot this any further, noting that the pipeline debugger does not support Override breakpoints for custom plugin step-types?

Hello.

What is the URL of the build that has the issue? Could you please post it here?

Thanks Kostis.

I’ve started recognizing some patterns when working with the stepsTemplate format. Debugging is inherently tricky when the runtime shows a general template problem, but validation when replacing the step-type yaml doesn’t show any problems. I wonder what other tooling might help fill-in that space? Also, so some of this is likely my learning curve. :slight_smile:

I am seeing the same sort of error. Where should I look for problems? So far my custom step appears the same as others we have created.

Hello David

What is the URL of the build that has the issue? Also if you can post/link the yaml of the custom step that would also be great. I can take a first look to see if something obvious is missing.

But since you say that this step is similar to others that you have created, and I assume that they are working fine, you can also open an issue ticket with our support team.